Monday, December 06, 2004

Too Busy Living

The goal: Live, Love Laugh and have Fun!

I am proud to say that I've been too busy living over the past couple of weeks to write. I did try to write last week, I completed my submission and went to post, only to find my connection lost and all my work lost. Although I had lots of great things to say, I decided, it wasn't worth repeating the task.

To wrap up my post of last week, I attended a great cookie exchange hosted by a good friend. I met up with a number of her friends who were moms like me and we had one of those re-affirming life conversations about our crazy kids. I left realizing we all have the same worries and challenges. Why are we always so worried about 'doing it right'? As well, I was armed with enough baking to carry me through the Christmas season -- what a treat!

My two year old has crossed the threshold, he officially became two in early November, and, true to form, threw his first massive temper tantrum this month. Furious and inconsolable he thrashed around the floor rejecting every attempt I made to remedy the situation. Finally I gave up. I carried the thrashing boy to his room as he viciously grabbed me by the hair and boxed my ears. I put him in the crib and closed the door. Standing outside the door with a sick feeling inside, and a tear trailing down my cheek, I waited for the tantrum to subside. Finally it did. After a few more minutes I tentatively creeped in with a weak, 'hello, my baby..', to my surprise I was greeted with a meek and loving hug -- and a much improved disposition. There've been a few more, and the same approach has served as a remedy. Do I have this licked? I sure hope so.

Well, in my part of the world winter made itself known. Through the weekend we saw 8 inches of snow and blowing cold temperatures dipping to -25 degrees. If I were a skier, I might be happy. If I were nostalgic, I might be thankful for a white Christmas. All I can think about is the extra effort coping with the normal stuff will take. I should have done my Christmas shopping last week!

Something interesting to me. A boy I grew up with has found his life calling in a somewhat unusual way. As we were all finding our way in the world we came to know that he had begun to work towards becoming a funeral director. We always knew him as an energetic smart aleck, who was always somewhere near the local trouble. At the time we talked about how this was something we considered to be 'out of character'. Since that time he has completed his studies and opened a funeral home in my hometown. Our family has had the unfortunate experience of seeing him many times through the past two years, each time I was touched by the care that he had put into the service, and the empathy he displayed throughout. Mom called yesterday to let me know she had attended a candlelight vigil he hosted for the families of all the people he had helped to lay to rest. The local church was overflowing. Everyone was touched as pictures of their loved ones passed across a video screen. Tears flowed freely. In the back of the church my friend worked hard to control his emotions as his mom's cheerful and lively face flashed by. His pain was not missed by all the people he consoled through the years -- everyone understood how hard this was. God blessed this young man with a gift none of us saw in him. His strength and compassion have now blessed the lives of many, through some of the darkest days of their lives. He is an inspiration.

Until next time.