Monday, January 03, 2005

A New Year Already in Jeopardy

The goal: Live, love, laugh and have fun.

I felt smug as I gave into the laziness that had engulfed me over the past few days. I sat like a slug and did nothing productive, I would move from a mindless game on my computer, to the TV, to a novel, only re-entering reality when called upon by the demands of my young children. Feed them, entertain them, change a diaper, and back to my reverie.

Ohh, what sweet bliss -- heavenly. Not worried about exercising off the indulgence of the past 2 weeks, not worried about the endless to-do list growing exponentially in the back of my mind. An indulgence extravaganza -- loafing around each day, coming alive in time for the social gathering of the evening. I think the last time I did this I was twenty and hanging with the girls!

Last night was the last evening before the harsh reality of time brought real life back into the forefront. We were enjoying a wonderfully delicious authentic Indian meal hosted by our good friends. "It is our belief," our hostess began, "that what you do in the first few days of the New Year marks how you will live the year," she finished this revelation thoughtfully, indicating they had deliberately chosen to spend the time with us, but I heard her words faintly through a fog that was enveloping my mind. The taste of shear panic arose in my throat as I imagined a year resembling the last few days -- I had so many goals... so many dreams... Is this the price I would pay for sloth? Now I understand that niggling guilt I was feeling. 2005 has only begun, can I already discount it as the year I did nothing? I have one more day to make it up... I better make today productive -- or I could be in trouble.

Forget about living, loving, laughing and fun, I have things to do!

Time to go!